Wednesday, May 22, 2013

power of words to inspire

The word ‘surrender’ peppers the presentations of some spiritually motivated speakers. The hearing of the word conjures conflict, war and drama, which feel less than what a listener would choose to experience in an uplifting presentation.

Why? The study of human history equates surrender with battles, wars and victims of subjugation, a less loving aspect of humanity.

Recently, a dream resolved my discordance with the prolific use of the term ‘surrender’. Here is the short version of the dream:

A friend and I were taking a drive in the country. My window was half way down. She sat calmly in the front passenger seat. The road was two-lane with a yellow line down the middle and white lines along the sides of the pavement. There was a narrow (5’ wide) grassy median on each side that sloped downward.

The road suddenly became an unpredictable terrain with curves and knolls. Trees beyond the grassy median closed into a forest where branches overarched the roadway. The weather changed from a sunny, summery day to a gray wintry challenge.

My coat was in my lap and in it was a pool of water. I lifted the coat through my half-opened window and shook out the liquid. I had lost control of the vehicle and it careened along the highway. Next, the steering wheel was gone. I groped all over the dashboard for a control device, but there was nothing. My friend remained calm through it all, as if she knew the program.

I looked at her and spoke to the effect of, “Thank you, Source, for this opportunity to learn and grow and be safe in the passage.”

The driving conditions had deteriorated so much that the car went into a skid and over a high knoll became airborne. The car was carried about a half-mile to a clear space where it was gently placed onto an empty, plowed parking lot. All was well, as it always is.
My Higher Self communicated with me through the dream by giving me the ‘surrender’ experience so I could describe it in a better feeling way. Surrender means to give up in favor of another. In the dream, I had to let go – release any attachment to the outcome (surrender). So, word substitution supports the better feeling place! (This is the human being’s multidimensional nature at work!)

Each of us searches for meaning. Stand in front of the mirror and look at the vehicle of your free choice. You came into this life to express your uniqueness, to have an experience guided by your passion. Success is yours to define. Get a jump-start through these short commencement speeches; they are intended for you!